Step 7: Install Office Components
The final part is to install Office – specifically Excel – and the key Add-Ins that you will need for demo purposes.
Important: We want to install 64-bit Office to leverage PowerPivot in Excel properly. So don’t use the default Setup option, but navigate to the x64 folder on the installation media and run that version of setup.
1. Run 64 Bit Office setup and get the Product Key screen:
2. Enter your key
3. Click Continue for the Licence Terms dialog. Accept the licence terms
4. Click Continue. This will bring you to the Installation Type screen:
We only want certain components so choose “Customize”, which gives the Installation Options dialog:
5. Follow the settings shown above to remove the following components:
You can be flexible with the above – for example I’ve left in PowerPoint as it’s often easier to demo the slide decks from within the VM during demos – but the lighter the install the better. Enter User Information if you want.
Important Check: If you see an additional tab in the dialog in Fig 6.3 called “Platform” you are installing 32-bit – cancel and start again, installing the 64 bit version as described at the start.
6. Once configured, click “Install Now”. It’s time for another progress bar and a meal, this one takes a while:
Eventually you will get the completion screen:
7. Click close.
8. Restart the VM, run Windows Update, Install any updates and Restart again for good measure.
9. Install the PowerPivot add-in. Run the x64 Installer:
10. Click Next for the Licence Terms screen. Accept the licence terms.
12. Click Next then enter your details on the Registration Information screen
13. Click Next for the confirmation screen
14. Click Install. Enjoy the progress bar:
15. Once complete, click Finish.
16. Install the Data Mining Add In:
18. Click Next for the Licence terms screen. Accept the licence terms.
19. Click next to get to the Feature Selection:
In a change from the default, select the Data Mining Client for Excel.
20. Click Next for the COnfirmation Screen.
21. Click Install at the next screen.
22. Click Finish once completed.
And that’s it! You have a complete demo machine. Optionally you can do some further tweaks for performance or just get stuck in. If you haven’t been religiously taking snapshots, now is a very good time to take one and baseline your VM.
Optionally, you can now move on to Part 7 – Performance Tweaks