As per Gartner’s January 2011 issued Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence, Microsoft BI is now a Leader among Leaders. Cynics may suggest you get the Gartner rating you pay for, but it indicates that the ongoing investment MS has made in SQL Server / BI is paying off well. MS BI now happily ranks alongside IBM & Oracle. What does this mean for us BI Monkeys? Well, for those of us who have bet our careers on MS as a BI technology path, that decision will continue to pay off.
Other things worth noting in the Gartner report are:
- the trend towards easy to use BI consumer tools – for us, that’s Office & PowerPivot, but in the wider market that’s tools like QlikTech and Tableau.
- Open source is continuing on the route to credibility but has a way to go
- Major acquisitions have a long term negative effect (ahem… IBM / Cognos)
- Predictive Analytics is likely the next area of innovation and competition. So for us, MS needs to do something – and SAS, if they are smart, should smell blood as they remain king in the Analytics space, and IBM should leverage SPSS hard.
- Cost is an increasingly important driver – again, good for us MS BI folk
Gartner reports are always well worth a read for an overview of the industry, so get stuck in!